Thursday, May 3, 2007

Sri Aurobindo can really only be appreciated as a teaching, he can’t be understood as an intellectual philosophy

alan kazlev Says: May 2nd, 2007 at 5:54 pm Hi Marko What you say rings very true I especially resonate with these words
Integral philosophers use concepts from teachings (like for instance Advaita) that are not meant to be used in the philosophical way, but in the teaching way, that is only as pointers for students to find the knowledge themselves through jnana or gnosis.
This is where I myself differ from the whole Wilberian and Post Wilberian movement. All these discussions and abstracted mental ideason these various forums are just taking these teachings out of their original very pragmatic spiritual milieu, making them into something that to me at least is arid and dry and very mentally abstract.
Interesting to see how little response there has been to my Aurobindo post (only Tusar and yourself as yet). Perhaps this is because Sri Aurobindo can really only be appreciated as a teaching, he can’t be understood as an intellectual philosophy. Those who approach him as an intellectual philosophy - without the practical spiritual connection that sadhana provides - get it completely wrong. This was pointed out by Satprem somewhere in the Agenda, and also I mentioned this in my first essay on Integral Wiorld, regarding Wilber’s misunderstanding of Sri Aurobindo. Obviously, for me what is interesting and useful is the Teaching, not the Philosophy!
alan kazlev Says: May 2nd, 2007 at 6:02 pm I should say nevertheless that I totally support the discussions and so on on this and otehr such forums, and for that matter intellectual and philosophical discussions in general. Just that for the most part it isn’t my thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment