Sunday, September 13, 2009

An Aurobindian should have the largest encompassing mind in the world

Auroville Today > Current issue > August 2009 - In conversation with Carel
Writing as a student: Georges van Vrekhem “If I am here, it is because I have been brought here by Them. So I write as a student of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. My study is an endless journey of exploration, going from discovery to discovery... Most of my books are written for people interested in Sri Aurobindo and The Mother, for Aurobindians, although I am amazed that Beyond Man and other books of mine have spread far outside that circle. "

“I have been hurt by the fanatical attitude of a group of Aurovilians who treated me like a leper because they disagreed with a few phrases or sentences in Beyond Man. Likewise, I was hurt because Overman is not for sale in the Sri Aurobindo Ashram as there seem to be objections against the term ‘overman'. I cannot understand how somebody who prides himself or herself on being a disciple of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother can become a fanatic and insult or hurt others who see things differently. An Aurobindian should have the largest encompassing mind in the world, while being in his yoga one-pointed and totally surrendered.” [...]

“To me a fact is a fact. And I am grateful for the biographical information which has been gathered about the lives of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. Now Sri Aurobindo would no longer have to write a book to contradict the false rumours about him. But scientists and philosophers also tell you that facts are only understandable in a context. How could I write about the external, physical lives of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother, and leave the reality inside and behind out of the question? Does writing about that ‘real reality' make me a ‘hagiographer'? There is a line between mindless adulation and a search for the truth, taking reality into account on its various levels.

“Sri Aurobindo called his own method ‘spiritual realism'. Matter, the vital and the mind, as well as the spiritual levels and the supermind, are realities. If there are people who prefer to remain stuck in the one-dimensionality of matter – Wilber's ‘flatland' – that is their choice. I try to write for intelligent people as an intelligent, dedicated student. My subject is the vision and realization of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. I have experienced certain aspects proving the existence of the spiritual worlds, and I find in Sri Aurobindo and The Mother a coherent philosophy which explains it all to me, and a guidance which allows me to put it into practice to the extent of my limited capacities. People on the same frequency, knowingly or instinctively, may read my writings if they have the time and the inclination. If not, they should read or do something else, in agreement with the need of their soul.”

(Georges van Vrekhem is the author of many books on Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. He was awarded the Sri Aurobinbo Puraskar 2006 for his writings on Sri Aurobindo and The Mother by the Government of West Bengal .) Home > Journals & Media > Journals > Auroville Today > Current issue > August 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment