Monday, December 24, 2007

Today, I am quite happy, India has awakened (economically at least)

Dear Father Christmas
Claude Arpi
As you know Father Christmas, when I settled in India, (it was also December-end some 33 years ago), I came with a Dream. I wanted to see a resurgent India. I believed in Sri Aurobindo's prophetic words. He had spoken of 'the resurgence and liberation of the peoples of Asia and India's) return to her great role in the progress of human civilisation.'
Today, I am quite happy, India has awakened, (economically at least); and so has China. You remember Napoleon's prophecy? 'When China awakes, the whole world will be shaken.' It has become true. Wherever you go, you must have noticed that India is today recognised as a power to reckon with, she is wooed by the Great Powers.
However in the Rishi's scheme of things, India was to take the leading moral and spiritual role! I am sure that you understand why I find it extremely distressing when fingers are today pointed at India. It is especially painful to me (and probably to you) because it concerns the most immediate threat to mankind, Global Warming...
At the beginning of the 20th century, a sage had dreamt of 'a step in evolution which would raise man to a higher and larger consciousness and begin the solution of the problems which have perplexed and vexed him since he first began to think and to dream of individual perfection and a perfect society.'
India was to lead in the world in this direction. Today, when the planet is in danger, why should her leaders use petty arguments instead of showing the way? Further, don't you agree that millions of jobs can be created in the new fields of environment? In any case, will not the planet get ultimately richer if the environment is taken care of? I don't have to tell you, but you will be one of the first to suffer if there is no more snow on earth.
Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, has recently decided to make his minister for environment the No 2 in his Cabinet. Is it not a good idea for India too? Forgive me if I have not written all these years, my other wishes were not so pressing.
With Love,
Claude

No comments:

Post a Comment