Thursday, April 12, 2007

Trace back the intellectual roots of the Great Idea of Opinion

By Tusar N Mohapatra 12:26 AM Meanwhile, I am mulling over an issue, which, I think, has not been addressed.
Fully sympathetic to your version of classicism and aesthetics, a suspicion haunts me that having once infected with the postmodernist worldview and enjoyed it for quite some time, I perhaps can't escape back and regain my innocence without a constant effort and vigilance.
So why not accept it and accommodate it somehow, instead of fighting it out all the while?
By MD 10:44 AM Tusar, I don't buy the premise. I don't think there is a "postmodern" worldview. I know some people besides yourself have this perception. But I think the perception is not correct, provable, nor effective. The short reason is, since I don't believe "postmodernism" means anything, I certainly wouldn't stipulate to a worldview based upon it. The longer answer is that I genuinely do not know how to respond to your question, for the reason stated previously.
"Postmodernism" is applied as a term for so many different situations, circumstances, and contexts, I have no idea what in particular you are talking about. I don't mean to deflect; I'm being sincere. If you want to be more precise, I'd be happy to respond to questions on this. Not knowing anything more about what you mean, my general advice would be two-pronged: to read lots of classic poetry and trace back the intellectual roots of the Great Idea of Opinion. md

No comments:

Post a Comment