Monday, April 23, 2007

Emergent community of intellectual bloggers

I’ll still be writing academic posts for The Valve, though. It is a remarkable project, one I’m proud to be involved with.

This is a decision that has taken me a great deal of time. I’ve been thinking it over for more than a month, specifically because of the friendships I’ve formed over time with authors like N. Pepperell, LarvalSubjects, petitpoussin, and miso, to name only a few. I am also sad to be deleting immense comment histories by writers like surlacarte, tomemos, and uncomplicatedly. I hate to leave the most recent comments on my madness posts unanswered.

Perhaps those lists give you some idea why this blog is going down: with the exception of N. Pepperell, all the rest of the bloggers listed are anonymous. In fact, besides N, the only other named bloggers I regularly read are Scott Eric Kaufman and Ray Davis...
Finally, some of the ways that other blog acts stick to my name is not working for me. Just this week, I had a well-meaning blogger repost my whole entry as though it were his own, except for a mystifying link-back that wasn’t explained. I emailed him about it, and he sent me a nice reply, which I answered in turn. He then posted my email to his blog without asking permission first. The Spirit of Gravity, or, The End of the Kugelmass Episodes 21Apr07 Filed under: Uncategorized
larvalsubjects on Apr 22nd, 2007 said: I keep checking your blog, feeling as if I’m monitoring someone on life support. Please announce that you’ll continue the blog and put me out of this abject misery! And if not, then send me an offline and let me know your secret identity so I can continue to follow you without playing the game of Clue!
Joseph Kugelmass on Apr 22nd, 2007 said: I’ve been overwhelmed by the comments, emails, and new posts about this. The response has been so extraordinarily kind. Thank you, everyone....
LarvalSubjects, I feel the same loyalty and excitement as you about the emergent community of intellectual bloggers, and thought your posts on the subject (from earlier this year) were sublime. My plan is to re-join that community as soon as possible, under the pseudonym, and to begin right where we left off (including by writing more about madness, neurosis, and difference)...
In my mind, the biggest danger facing bloggers who want thoughtful conversation is that the Internet forces them into a position of contemptible affectlessness.
***
It is a strange irony that the very day Kugelmass announces that he will be shutting down the Kugelmass episode and going underground like Gregor Samsa, I arrive at crucially important proposition six of book three of the Ethics:
BOOK III, PROP. VI. Everything, in so far as it is in itself, endeavours to persist in its own being.
If you appreciate Joseph’s blog and comments, please drop by The Kugelmass Episode and share this with him, so that he might find a little energy to help his important and distinctive voice persist in its being, thereby helping our little organism, the theory blogosphere, persist in its being. Do it for the sake of conatus! Desires sometimes flag and stutter. There is an entire ethics surrounding sustaining and preserving desire. ~ by larvalsubjects on April 22, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment